Saturday 26 January 2013

Gin Loong Pau

~ Highly aromatic roasted flat buns filled with sweetened Azuki bean paste - often eaten at breakfast or morning tea.


It is almost impossible to buy this here in Australia. Even in Asia, this is getting to be difficult to come by these days. 

Apparently the trade is vanishing as the old master chefs go into retirement. Traditionally, the skills would have been passed down to the next generation. But these days, the younger generation is more interested in pursuing professional careers rather than continuing the family business. 

The aroma and taste of this delicious morsel bring back fond memories of my childhood, of buying this from the street vendors at the crack of dawn, and consuming it in the bus on the way to school. 

Yes, it was always breakfast on the run, having to catch the bus at quarter past six in the morning since classes start at a quarter past seven.

If you are game to give this a go, then check out my Jin Loong Pau recipe.

Please leave a comment or provide your valuable feedback in the Comment box. For more recipes and food posts, please visit Malaysian Cuisine

10 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, waking up would be so 'sweet' with these beautiful stuffed pancake-esqu bits and a good cup o' Joe. Mmmmmm

    Glad to see/read that you're helping to keep the tradition from extinction. Everyone should know about Gin Loong Pau

    ReplyDelete
  2. They looked really yummy. Wish I have one for tea now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha, they are pretty yummy. I wish that I can get them easily too. No such luck, I have to make them myself when I get one of those cravings.

      Delete
  3. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarhg, wheres the recipe for this Gin Loong Pau :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Jason, the recipe is in my head, but it will be coming soon to this blog. I'll notify you when I've got it written down.

      Delete
    2. Right on jeff, thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi Jason,

      As requested, I've now published this recipe. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

      Cheers,
      Jeff

      Delete
  4. OK I was thinking I must have missed the recipe but see that it's not posted. Which makes me wonder. I just joined Google+, do I need to have my posts come to this as well? Too many social media sites to figure out.

    This looks wonderful, look forward to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky, Thanks for stopping by. Sorry, I'm yet to post the recipe. If you follow my blog via email (right side of the screen), then you will get my updates automatically sent to your email.

      Delete
    2. Hi Vick,

      I've now published my recipe. Please check it out and let me know if you have questions.

      Cheers,
      Jeff

      Delete

Please take a moment to leave a comment or just sign the guestbook by entering your first name in the comment box. Thanks again for stopping by.